Sunday, April 19, 2009

Redneck Engineering for Triathlon

If you know me, I can be pretty frugal (my wife calls it cheap!), but I have a hard time shelling out big money for things I think/know I can get for less or make up myself. You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy. Anyway...I got a great race helmet from Julie that I really like, the Giro Advantage 2. I've done several training rides in it and it definitely makes a difference.

I really had eyes on the Spiuk helmet, but couldn't stomach the price tag. So I modified my Giro to get what I liked about the Spiuk (clean underside that goes along the back). I was inspired by T.J. Tollakson's homemade aero setup at NOLA 70.3. http://jayprasuhn.blogspot.com/2009/04/tj-tollaksons-new-race-setup-revealed.html

Notice the opening at the point on the end for any air that may make its way in there to escape.

Tools of the modifications: Duct tape, elec tape scissors, synthetic sponges

Now to give it some test rides!

5 comments:

Christy said...

Hi, I came across your blog. I am also a christian. I exercise and eat right. Is there really a team FCA Endurance? If so, what is it about?

JT said...

Hey Christy! Yes there is an FCA Endurance team. Like the rest of FCA, it is organized in local huddles. There is one in Greenville right near you. The main FCAe site is www.fcaendurance.org and the Greenville huddle is http://upstatefcae.wordpress.com/ FCAe is about encouraging other believers and serving/witnessing to non-believers in the endurance communities. Locally, we have a large presence in the triathlon scene through the Setup Events Series www.setupevents.com
Hope that helps!

Christy said...

Thank you for all the information. I will defiantly check into it.

Christy said...

I have started a new blog telling everyone about God's blessing and goodness. Please take a look at it and leave a comment about a blessing God has done for you. Thanks and God Bless! Pass it on.
(http://faithbuildingexamples.blogspot.com)

Christy said...

I also want to tell you that I am following your blog. I want to get into racing but, I have never done it before. You give a lot of information about racing. I wrote down the races that you have listed. I also checked out the info about FCA. I signed up on their sight. You give great insight, which helps take away the fear to newcomers.
Thanks!

Everyone wants to win, few want to prepare.