Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Clemson Sprint Tri

Rule #1: Thou shalt arrive at the race site at least 1.5 hours before the start.

Officially broke Rule #1 and waited in the packet pick up line for 40 minutes. My warm up included racking my bike and setting up transition, running 1000m to the truck for my sunglasses, and putting on my wetsuit. Let's just say this set the tone for the day.

Swim: Not bad overall. Sighting went fair and I had pretty clean water for most of the swim. Arms felt heavy by 600m, but I didn't really lose much pace. My first swim in the new wetsuit. Time of 14:56 (with a 1/4 mile run to the transition!)

T1: Terrible! couldn't get my left foot out of the suit. Horrible mount onto the bike. Three people stopped in front of me to get around. Time of 1:13 (I mentioned terrible, right?)

Bike: Rolling hills my rear end. This thing was hilly from start to finish. No warm up, plenty of hills, and my cyclometer sensor was out of line lead to a much slower than anticipated time of 34:52

T2: Didn't think it could get much worse than T1, but it did. Forgot to get my feet on the shoes before the dismount line so I had to run in with them on and get them off. Then my racing flat's paper thin insole totally folded up in my left shoe putting it on, so I had to take it off, fix it, and put it back on. Time of 1:02

Run: Legs felt ok off the bike considering I had done a total of zero bricks in training. Mile one felt good at about 6:30 pace until I hit the hill going up to the dike. That thing sucked the life out of me and took me the rest of mile two to recover. Finally got back up on the bridge and ground out a good last leg. Time of 20:34 (btw that's a new 5K PR...just happened to be in a Triathlon)

Overall time of 1:12:39 put me 6th out of 21 in my age group and 88th out of 320 men overall. I guess I'm ok with the result if you take into consideration that it was my first race of the year and I did so many things wrong!

No comments:

Everyone wants to win, few want to prepare.