Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Festival of Flowers Olympic Tri



I went into this race thinking about a B maybe C priority event. Mostly here to preview the course for the Half Ironman in Sept. No real pressure, just have a good race and see what happens. I was so glad to have spent the night camping out before the race with some FCA-Endurance folks because that put me 3 minutes (by bike) to the transition area from my bed. This sure beats driving for 1.5 hours before the event!

First off...this is a stacked field event because it is the SE Regional qualifier for the USAT National event. Secondly, the heat was unbelievable for this time of year. It was 77 at the start and 95 by the time I finished.

Swim: Ok...never found open water until the last 750m and had some sighting problems throughout. I probably swam about 1600m in all with the zig-zags I was making. Didn't push too hard since I had only logged one training swim at this distance this year. Time of 31:46

T1: Only real mistake of the day was here. I had forgot to load my gel packs up before the race start so I had to fish through my bag and grab two. Ran out of transition with shoes on. Again, two people blocked me getting onto the bike. Time of 1:05

Bike: Better than I had planned. I thought I might ride about 19-19.5 mph avg, but finished at 20.4 mph. I drank almost 40 oz of Gatorade on the bike in all, nearly double what I might otherwise, but did I mention the heat? Time of 1:10:01

T2: Nothing great, nothing really bad. Took time to slip on socks for the 10k. 5k run I'll go naked in the shoes, but I like the extra cushion for the longer run. Time of 0:51

Run: Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot....hot! Miserable is the word to describe miles 2-3 and 4-5 because it was in the blazing sun! I stopped and walked through every water station to drink a cup of water or Gatorade and to pour a cup of water on my head. I even stopped to stretch my quads at mile 4 station because they felt like they were going to cramp any second. Pace was a little slow, but under the conditions I wasn't dissappointed. Time of 44:34

Total time of 2:28:16 put me 6th out of 11 age groupers with only one local guy (age group) beating me and 64th out of 186 men overall.

Also, I beat my season goal of a sub 2.5 hour Olympic distance race!

No comments:

Everyone wants to win, few want to prepare.