Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Greenville Sprint Tri

Sunday was the second year I raced the sprint at Greenville. The day started out with some big question marks...it was pouring down some steady rain and lightning all around. I set up my transition area in the rain. I put my bag over both pairs of shoes to try and keep them from being completely water logged. They announced that if it was still lightning at 7:00 they would change to a duathlon and if it was still lightning at 7:20, they would cancel. Thankfully, the lightning stopped just before 7:00 and it was a go!


My only warmup consisted of about 100m of swimming and some stretching before things got underway. I don't think many folks got their usual warmups in since it was raining so hard.

Swim: second year in a row I turned in an actual realistic swim time and passed at least 5-6 swimmers before getting stuck behind a pack of three. Next year I'm turning in a time that's about 20s per 100m faster than actual. Time of 7:15 (including run to T1) 64th OA; 6th AG.

T1: I didn't like the fact that the racks are assigned the same as the swim start. This meant I had to get around several guys that were there sitting on the ground, stuff strung out all over. I actually had to pick my bike up over the heads of two guys sitting there putting on shoes to get out of the racks. Time of 1:04.

Bike: Was hoping for a good improvement over last year. I really thought I could get this done between 40-41 min. Felt good at the start and at the end, but jut couldn't keep it together in the middle section to really get the time I was looking for. Time of 43:19, 100th OA; 6th AG.

T2: Mediocre...should be about 0:35. Got to get more consistent here. Time of 0:56.

Run: My best 5k ever!!! I've been staring down breaking 20 minutes in the past 4 sprint races. First all, my Garmin couldn't get a satellite signal and I turned it off/on several times but nothing. So I said, "Screw it, just run hard chase down as many as you can!" Obviously it worked. Felt good the whole run and put in a great surge at the end to catch one guy (see big guy in bright tri suit!!)I had eyed a the start of the 2nd lap. Time of 18:54, 15th OA; 2nd AG.

Overall: 1:11:37, 51st OA, 4th AG.

Also, this was Julie's second triathlon. She did really great and I was proud of her race!!! Go to the family blog to read about her race, see pics, and times! http://www.jasonandjuliethomas.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Everyone wants to win, few want to prepare.