Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Humbling Speed Work

Will and I went to the SCSDB track at 5:30am for our speed workout. There is a group from the Spartanburg Running Club that are out there every week. Some of the same ones are always there, and there's usually a new face every now and again.

Today Rob Wilder showed up to run. Rob is in his mid-40's and 12 years ago he qualified for the Olympic Marathon Trials. I don't think he was able to compete due to injury...but get the point that he's an excellent runner.

We did 5x800m intervals. One the first one, Rob was still warming up and I lead out with a 3:01. Rob joined us and lead from then on. My intervals (from memory) were then 2:49, 2:40, 2:38, 2:45. The thing is...I was dying by the third one and Rob just kept getting faster. I don't think he was really breathing hard either.

As much as it hurt...I hope he comes out every week!!

No comments:

Everyone wants to win, few want to prepare.